Happy Hump Day — Wednesday, June 29. The iPhone was released 15 years ago today. Moving from Let’s All Feel Old Department, to today’s weather, temps are supposed to be in the mid 70s today, and the low 80s into the weekend. So what’s new around here — 3 stories, 2 events and 1 Deal of the Day.
Spotlight Schools: Homework,
Jeannette Andruss has dropped the latest edition of her weekly newsletter, Spotlight Schools, which can be read here. In this latest edition she covers:
- FIRST BELL 🔔Rethinking homework: The District’s Proposed policy to reduce homework and emphasize ‘quality over quantity” has drawn nationwide attention.
- SECOND BELL 🔔 How recent Supreme Court decisions (not just the Roe v. Wade overturn) impact education.
- EXTRA CREDIT 📌Outdoor Science School, 2022-23 budget, and more on tonight’s agenda for the Los Alamitos USD Board of Education meeting.
- RECESS 🎓 LAHS drama students win Thespy Awards!
- What’s with all these new solar panels on every Los Al District campus.
- Where recently resigned McGaugh Principal is headed next.
Again, click here to read the complete and latest Spoitlight Schools.
OC Report on June Primary shows 35% voted, 88% by mail
The Orange County Registrar of Voters report on the June 4 primary is out and it shows that 88.4% of voters cast their vote via mail or early balloting. Just over 11% actually showed up at the polls on election day. Overall Voter turnout was 35.2% this year, meaning 636,497 ballots were cast, up slightly from 2018.
For those looking for an assessment of the June political primaries from the point of view of the very progressive left, check out Vern Nelson’s article in the Voice of OC Orange Juice Blog.
Cypress City council votes to censure Frances Marquez
For the first time in its 66-year history, the Cypress City Council has voted to censure a member of its council. In a 4-1 vote Monday evening, the Cypress City Council censured Councilwoman Frances Marquez — criticizing her for, among other matters, “failing to respond to Public Records Act requests in a timely manner.” For the council’s steadfast majority, the third time was a charm. Twice this year already, the council had weighed whether to censure Marquez. Local reporter Susan Goulding has the story for the OC Register.
- SPORTS: Stacey Nelson in OC Softball Hall of Fame, Rachel Fattal & US Womena advance World WP Championships, Landry Fields, Griffin QB shines at Elite Workout, LB State Soccer and more.
- Last night’s Los Al School Board Meeting can be watched on Youtube. (It’s a short one)
- Where to Watch fireworks in Long Beach (LB Post)
- ROSSMOOR: How to arrange a vacation check by OC Sheriffs when you’re away. (OurRossmoor.com)
- FOOD: The Abbey Restaurant in Seal Beach was one of 356 eateries to receive a grant from The California Restaurants Association Foundation, to aid kitchens and staffs. The grant funds, powered by large donations from power utilities, can be used to invest in equipment upgrades or retention bonuses. The full list of our 2022 grant recipients click here.
- Los Al Grad wins $1,000 performing arts scholarship from Musical Theater West – Recent Los Al grad Amanda Guevara-Blanco was among 14 students awarded $1000 scholarships by Musical Theater West for the upcoming 2022-2023 year. The awards were announced Saturday, June 25th, during their live performance at the MTW Footlighters Luncheon outdoors in Long Beach. Amanda has been a part of many MTW musicals, ranging from “Bye Bye Birdie” to “Once On This Island.” After high school, she will be attending Young Americans College of Performing Arts to continue her career in music and the performing arts.
There are Two events happening today. Los Al Football is hosting a fundraiser at Crazy Fish Grill in the Target Center in Seal Beach — 11am-9pm. Plus, the Los Al Chamber has partnered with the Laguna Hills team Darkhorse to buy a pie for a member of the military. All pies purchased will go to Camp Pendleton on 4th of July for our Military men and women!
And if you’re in the mood to show off your mastery of useless knowledge, join the crowd at Griffins Grill tonight. Ozzie, of Sunset Trivia, tosses out the first question at 7:30.
WHERE’S MY WIFE WEDNESDAY at Mama’s
Where’s My Wife Wednesday – Boards & Bottles
1/2 off all bottles of wine and mini charcuterie boards – ’til they are gone
HALF OFF glasses of select wines, 4 pm to Close